Thursday, July 19, 2012

Spicy Moroccan Carrot-Kale Salad

Yes, I have been on a kale and spice kick lately as you can tell. From my spicy kale-pancetta pizza to my kale-parsley berry juices, never mind all my pasta with kale and kale chips I've been making. It has become a staple in my refrigerator.  In fact, I'm in a bit of a tizzy since my fridge is kale-free at the moment. The horror!!


For my Moroccan-themed dinner for my friend Maria, I decided to make a spin on the traditional Moroccan carrot salad with this spicy Moroccan carrot-kale salad as my side dish because she is as obsessed with kale and spice as I am. I decided to use the recipe from my favorite Taïm falafel truck (who I first introduced here) because I knew they wouldn't fail me.


This is such an easy and delicious make-ahead recipe! Since my dinner was on a weeknight, I knew I'd be short on time.  I made this the night before so the flavors could soak into the carrots and kale. If you love garlic and heat, you will love this recipe. I accidentally dumped more pimient d'espelette than the recipe called for, but it was perfect.  It has an intense garlicky flavor with a slow heat when you first bite into the carrot/kale. So addictive! If you don't watch yourself, you will just find your fork stabbing into air in the bowl. It is THAT good.

Thank you Taïm for my new favorite treat!

SPICY MOROCCAN CARROT-KALE SALAD
Serves 4

Adapted from Taïm

INGREDIENTS
1 pound carrots, peeled & sliced 1/4"
1 cup kale, chopped into 1 inch pieces including stems
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon cumin
3/4 tablespoon pimient d'espelette or hot paprika (increase/decrease according to your heat preference)
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground mixed peppercorns
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar

DIRECTIONS
1. Place carrots & kale in a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil, cooking until slightly tender, approximately 10 minutes. 

2. Drain and place carrots in an ice-water bath until cool.

3.  In a large pan, sauté the carrot slices and kale in a single layer with 1 tbsp olive oil until slightly brown on both sides.

4.  In a bowl, add carrots, kale and remaining ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate overnight or at least up to 3 hours to allow flavors to come together.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yum! You'll have to introduce me to that truck when I'm there. It's funny b/c I was thinking of doing a twist on Moroccan carrot salad myself. As usual, great minds...

    ReplyDelete